Friday, July 15, 2011

happy teachers' day!



Today was Teachers' Day. For those of you who are just joining the adventure here at Harika, I am currently spending the summer volunteering at Shree Mangal Dvip School for Himalayan Children in Kathmandu. I taught art classes here last summer, and to put it simply, I fell in love. I was deeply touched by the students I met, and formed wonderful friendships with some incredible people who are dedicated to getting these children the bright futures they deserve.

The day was packed with song and games, laughter and cheer, and the distribution of red pens from little hands to big ones. I haven't laughed so much in a long time.



As I was about to leave for the day, one of my art students stopped me, telling me I had a surprise coming my way. My sweet, talented artists had a gift for me, and made a beautiful card that got me misty-eyed. They placed three kata around my neck, and thanked me for the lessons. I honestly don't know what to say. I love these children. They make me so very happy.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I love the setting of the class, and the use of newspaper! Interesting backgrounds!

szaza said...

Thanks, Ben. I wanted the students to experiment with different backgrounds and to learn that you can create art with anything, on anything. The setting is on a balcony outside the lunch hall, as the classrooms are a bit dark and small.