Tuesday, October 13, 2009

84342


I have always fantasised about participating in a city marathon, but I have no illusions about my athleticism. I may be able to swing by my ankles from a trapeze, but I only run if my life depends on it. In fact, I absolutely abhor running, and the idea of putting myself through collective self-inflicted torture is not appealing to me in the slightest.

However, I greatly admire marathon runners, and I love the idea of thousands of people coming together harmoniously to test the boundaries of their minds and bodies. It's a marvellous thing, when you consider the sheer mass of different people moving in the same space. I truly wish I had the cardiovascular system and the passion for the extreme physical duress 42.195 kilometres puts on the body, but fortunately for people like me, there is an 8k Fun Run that can be walked!

And I am one hell of a walker.

So this Sunday, I will be joining street-fulls of people in crossing the Bosphorus Bridge from Asia to Europe in the 31st Istanbul Avrasya Maratonu. I'm so excited— I can't wait to see all the people. If only I could sketch and walk...

No comments: