Monday, July 30, 2012

the third time's the charm



The idea of trekking through the Annapurna Conservation Area in search of birds and rhododendron forests, fighting of leeches and sleeping in musty tea houses tickled my imagination, as we began to solidify the airy plans we had made for adventure back in Kathmandu. The ever-present monsoon clouds loomed above, cutting off any chance of seeing mountains, and threatened to make for a very wet and challenging experience. We discussed the prospect of being rained out over breakfast, and sometime in the afternoon, I began to feel a little spacey. I couldn't focus on conversation— it was as though words had become blunted and fell to the ground, and soon afterward, my body began to ache.

By late afternoon, my joints were burning and by evening, I was feverish. Morning brought with it some rather unpleasant sensations in my belly, and soon, Pedro's too. After two summers of avoiding any stomach issues in Nepal, I finally fell victim to a bad case of diarrhea. It soon became very clear that neither of us were fit to do any trekking, despite a trip to a local pharmacy, and sticking to a diet of porridge and banana lassis. We tried to fight off the disappointment by taking quick sketching walks which did not lead us too far from our guest house.



The second and last photos were taken by Pedro.

6 comments:

We are the Hippies said...

perfect! ^^

Anonymous said...

Your sketchbooks are an inspiration :)

Unknown said...

Sorry I've just been trying to catch up on posts and read you were sick - I hope you feel better now.

Fabulous water-buffalo sketches.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ach...hope you're feeling better.

szaza said...

Thank you all!

I am feeling better, but my computer has decided to completely die on me! Posts will have to wait until I am back in Istanbul, which is in a little over a week.

Some photos have been lost unfortunately...