Friday, July 4, 2014

here, in the capitol



We took a very roundabout way from Istanbul to Ankara through Bolu and Kartalkaya, through endless fields of grain, pine forests, and arid plateaus that were reminiscent of Oman. We searched in vain for the bearded dragon, the Lammergeier vulture— a massive bird with a black feather beard that has captured my imagination ever since Pedro showed me a drawing of it in his bird guide. Hopefully we'll have another chance in the mountains further south. We did however, see the stunning crimson-headed Rosefinch, elegant Egyptian Vultures, many storks (both black and white), rollers, and so many other wonderful beasts.



Now in the capitol of Turkey, we made a beeline this morning for the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, which needs possibly two or three posts of its own, as it was truly, one of the best museums I have ever visited. I would love to tell you more, but I need to get to bed for an early start. Salt lakes and dervishes are on my mind...

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Rob Dunlavey said...

Thank you for including me/us on your trip!! Keep posting great pictures and stories.

szaza said...

You are most welcome! Thank you.