Saturday, January 17, 2009

a semi-productive day



I had planned on going to the Dalí exhibit at the Sabanci Museum today but when I saw the line that stretched down the road, I knew it wasn't going to happen. I went home to work on some new pigeons for my Coup series.
I started Coup in 2007 for fun, never expecting them to fly off the shelves as they have. But really, who wouldn't want a drawing of a pigeon with a Napoleonic complex? I adore pigeons, and took to studying their behaviour back in San Francisco. I noticed that many pigeons were missing feet from all those horrible spikes people place on ledges. In all the places I have lived, I had never seen such mangled birds. I imagined that they had had enough, that a pigeon's coo was a call for a coup. I broke out my Prismacolors and metallic ink, and Coup was born. I'm delighted that it has been so appreciated!

Once I get the new pigeons I am working on to a good point, I'll post a photo of them for you. In the meantime, here's a small sampling of my feathered friends:



On a different note, these are two of my latest sketches. The first takes place in a Starbucks— I saw this woman and had to draw her, her hair was enormous and her expression incredible. The second I sketched tonight at Filiz, a fantastic fish restaurant in Tarabya.

No comments: