Saturday, December 20, 2014

the end of a journey



Stunningly preserved Ottoman houses line the edge of the Yeşilırmak River in Amasya, and by night, these houses along with the tombs of Pontus carved into the rocks above, are illuminated by a rainbow of lights.



These gorgeous sundaes celebrate the end of The Great Anatolian Road Trip. The next morning, we drove nine hours back to Istanbul to catch a flight two days later to Lisbon. I have never seen so much of Turkey, and feel that I have learned more about its cultures, history, politics, and wildlife. I have finally seen Ararat, set foot in the Tigris and Euphrates, and seen snowcocks on a mountaintop at dawn. I don't really know how to sum up such an incredible experience, but I feel that I have a better understanding of Turkey, of myself, and of what I want and don't want out of life. Road trips are great like that— at putting things in perspective.

2 comments:

Rob Dunlavey said...

Life is a road trip. Obrigado Samantha!

szaza said...

It is indeed!
You are welcome :)